I remember that Oprah used to do an annual giveaway of her “favorite” things. Audience members would scream in delight as they were rained down on with the latest cars, gadgets, and gizmos.
As the craze of Christmas got into full swing last year while I was in Somalia and Burundi, I thought about what my favorite free things are that contribute to my happiness. None of them directly cost money, but some require a lifetime of investment of time, energy, and sacrifice.
In no particular order:
- Elderly couples still madly in love with each other
- Making someone smile
- Altruistic giving
- High fives
- Kisses for no reason
- Meals with friends and family
- The beauty of nature
- Learning new things (about life, myself, science, humanity, etc.)
- Kids who dance like no one is watching
- Teaching something to someone and seeing that light go off in their brain
- Animals, especially this guy
- Conveying thoughts and experiences via the written word
- Meeting people from different parts of the country/world
- When you hear a song on the radio and it triggers a memory of something wonderful
What are your favorite free things? Share them in the comments below!