Halloumi. It’s Cyprus’s gift to the world. The only cheese that can be grilled and the only cheese I’ve ever had that squeaks as you chew it.
As I got to Cyprus, I fell in love with these cheese all over again. I had no choice, actually. It’s everywhere. Still, I really do like it and here I’ll show you how to make a typical halloumi sandwich.
How To Make A Halloumi Sandwich
1. Turn on the grill and let it pre-heat.
2. Cut the bread as you see below.
3. Cut the cheese. Yep, cut it! You can make the slices as thin or as thick as you want. It depends on you.
4. Chop the tomato and the optional cucumber.
5. Grill the sandwich. I usually grilled just the pita + halloumi, but you can also stuff the tomato and greens inside and grill the whole thing. In Cyprus people do it both ways, and so can you!
6. Stuff the tomato and optional greens inside if you haven’t done so already…and eat!